So, you want to know more about beef? Here are some interesting facts about beef and cattle…
1. The United States and Brazil are the top beef producing countries in the world
2. The average cow has more than 40,000 jaw movements per day
3. The salivary glands of cattle, located beneath the tongue, produce 50-75 litres of saliva per day!
4. Hamburger meat from 1 cow would equal 720 quarter-pound (100g) hamburgers, enough for a family of 4 to enjoy hamburgers each day for nearly 6 months!
5. More than 100 medicines, including insulin and oestrogen, come from cattle.
6. One cowhide can produce enough leather to make 18 soccer balls.
7. There are close Read More
How about a Sloppy Joe?
Originally dreamed up and served in the USA, and now a firm favourite at delis and school tuckshops in South Africa, the Sloppy Joe is a ground beef burger/sandwich – something like Bolognese Sauce in a Hamburger Bun!
Different areas have different versions of what a “Sloppy Joe” is. The one that we are presenting is adapted from simplyrecipes.com (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sloppy_joes/#ixzz4OrETmq1T)
It’s a sweet and tangy version, made with lean mince that you ladle onto a hamburger bun. It’s a fantastic mess, and that’s why kids will love it.Sweet and Tangy Sloppy Joe
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced carrots (can Read More