So, you want to know more about beef? Here are some interesting facts about beef and cattle…
1. The United States and Brazil are the top beef producing countries in the world
2. The average cow has more than 40,000 jaw movements per day
3. The salivary glands of cattle, located beneath the tongue, produce 50-75 litres of saliva per day!
4. Hamburger meat from 1 cow would equal 720 quarter-pound (100g) hamburgers, enough for a family of 4 to enjoy hamburgers each day for nearly 6 months!
5. More than 100 medicines, including insulin and oestrogen, come from cattle.
6. One cowhide can produce enough leather to make 18 soccer balls.
7. There are close to 800 registered breeds of cattle around the world. This photo is of a breed called “Black Baldy”
8. Uruguay, New Zealand, Argentina, Australia and Brazil are the only countries with more cows than people
9. Cattle are thought to have descended from Middle Eastern aurochs, which were large ox-like creatures. The last auroch was a female that died of natural causes in Poland in 1627
10. Mince accounts for almost 40% of beef production (this varies by country). Much of this goes into hamburgers. (We like to think that ours at Meat Online are right up there with the best!)
(Data sourced from cattlepages.com and express.co.uk)